Tuesday, June 27, 2006

A shopping trip I won't forget very soon.

Carrie and I went shopping for a bigger matress as we just can't share a full-sized bed forever. We happened to meet a guy at Denver Matress who was quite helpful in informing us what not to pay for in a matress. I've never done this before (just went to Sam's and bought the only one they carry--Serta--last time) and so don't know much about matresses. Apparently, when it comes to matresses you don't usually pay the asking price but try to talk the salesman down to a price you're comfortable paying (like when you buy a new car, something else I've never done yet). Unless you go with Denver Matress and get a nice outlet price. This is not the interesting part of this day's shopping experience. Here we go.....Did you know that the average person loses a pint in fluids (sweat, oils, dead skin cells) every night. A PINT! That's like a gallon a week. And the matress absorbs a lot of this which then attracts dust mites and other things. This is why when we moved recently our matress seemed so much heavier than when I bought it. It's getting heavier. It's gaining weight. Sorry to the community group guys who helped move it. The matress guy said a matress may be 25% heavier over several years. That got me thinking....I've been sleeping on the same pillow for like seven years. It's like a sack of bricks, twice as heavy as any other pillow in our house. Sick huh? So, good reason to change sheets often and wash matress covers and so on. I can remember in college only changing sheets once per semester. I didn't share this with the matress guy. So, hope everybody sleeps well tonight. Clean sheets anyone? Buenas Noches.

4 comments:

Spencer said...

Dude, I say you got lied to. The only way to lose a pint of fluid while you sleep is to wet the bed. I bet your matress was pretty heavy...

Patrick said...

what the flip Spence? I'm a hot sleeper okay!?!!

Anonymous said...

Depends anyone?

Anonymous said...

As the veritable Absalom of backhair, you probably make your mattress 1/2 lb heavier each night, Payat.

Have a swiss cake roll on me.