Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Our New Pet

Carrie and I have this gold finch that loves to perch on this branch just outside the window to the main living area. He will sit there for hours sometimes pecking at the window (he comes every day, several times per day). He obviously sees his reflection in the window and so thinks he either has a friend or a competitor. We're not sure which. He does account for much of our dialogue around here lately. Occassionally he has a leaf in his mouth. That usually makes me think of U2's song, Beautiful Day, "See the bird with the leaf in her mouth...after the flood all the colors came out." Sometimes we talk about whether the bird has a good or bad self-image. Good in that he thinks he has a friend (his reflection). Or bad, in that he is doing battle with another male and he is always the first to leave the scene (making him the inferior loser). Either way, it's nice that he is around. One evening Carrie thought I'd left the oven on (as it will make this infrequent clicking sound when on) and then when going to check it out it was indeed off (as I said it was off) and it was this darn bird pecking at the window. So, he made a nice little I-told-you-so moment for us. The students I work with think it's crazy I don't have any pets. I'm thinking of telling them I have a bird. He is kind of ours. If I move really really slowly I can go all the way up to the glass without him seeing past his reflection and can put my nose on the glass and feel him peck the other side of the glass. Pretty sweet! That makes us intimately friends. I need a bird name our friend. Any suggestions?

4 comments:

Jaime said...

mascota=pet; pajaro=bird; pajarito=little bird

i bet you can find a good ole nombre en espaƱol.

hasta.

Anonymous said...

bro for life

Patrick said...

I think we're gonna go with Tweety. Not really unique but I can't resist.

Anonymous said...

this contest was a sham. Tweety. Really.